[Jacob-list] I needed a bath anyway!

Gary Tomas Fay fayg at mebtel.net
Mon May 13 19:31:15 EDT 2002

Jacob list ...

3 ewes, 2 ewe lambs, 1 ram lamb. (Do you count adult Rams in the yield
calculations?) As I was on the way home, I heard them talking about the
storms in Winston Salem / Greensboro and I could see the clouds in
Efland. I managed to get home, change clothes, grab the bands, the
iodine, the nutridrench(sheep), the scale and the bucket. I managed to
get most of the critters in the pen but Ms Marple decided to be smart
and hang out, her lamb was not so bright. As I re approached from the
back to close the gate, Floral bolted taking her lamb parsley and her
lamb, out of the pen with her.

Atticus was busy with his head in the bowl eating, and I got Ms Marples
ewe, she weighed in at 12 lbs, up from 7 a week ago. I applied one band
to the tail, 3 fingers down, a little less then half! Gave her a shot of
nutridrench as the drops started to fall. I was able to run down
Parsley's lamb in the open field. 6 lbs on the scale, the white was much
darker than I expected.... Turned it over, Parsley came through, it was
a girl. Gave her a few squirts of Nutridrench and attemped to place the
next band but I  was wet, had iodine from the last one (plus some
nutridrench drip and could not get the band over more than 2 prongs. At
this point Parsley was very upset that I would take her lamb and for a
change she approached me. I let the lamb go, she was much calmer than
her mother or scared to death. So I gave a reprieve while I attempted to
work the band, managed to get it on three and when for the lamb again
when the sky broke loose. I figured the lightning was enough to convince
me to go in.

I will reweigh tomorrow to see if there is any change. I did notice the
tare on the bucket was off by 1/2 a pound. Dropping  to 11.5 and 5.5 lbs
(adjusted) I am using a postal scale (50lb) and a bucket. One day soon I
will get a sling, and a harness to fit on the Ram .. and a million other
gadgets! ...

The rain should be in the Raleigh area soon ... probably already in
Durham,  it looks like a good one, I usually miss them as they hug 40,
so I can only image how much rain the highway is getting. I did see
several split Bradford Pears on the way home and the electricty faded
twice while I was wrighting...(ups) ....

Gary