Fw: [Jacob-list] new list member and prospective new owner

Melody critterland at bendcable.com
Wed May 8 12:54:20 EDT 2002

 The main thing I have discovered, that someone should have warned me about
before I started, is how hard it is to keep your flock down to the size you
planned your barn and pastures for.  Every new lamb is a "keeper" because it
has such nice wool/unique markings/great horns/cute personality.  Every old
 ewe is a "keeper" because she has such nice wool/unique markings/great
horns/has been around for years and it feels like abandoning a family member
to sell her.  The only Jacob I have been able to let go of with no regrets
was last year's ram, a very nicely marked 4-horn who jumped a 4-foot plywood
 wall join the goats--and when I came out to milk, we played matador and
bull as he repeatedly rushed at me while I flailed wildly with the milk
bucket, yelled, and flapped my jacket in attempts to look bigger and scarier
than he was. After other such displays of aggression (but none so
entertaining, I am
 sure) he went to the freezer--and I still found myself thinking "what a
shame--he was such a nice ram!"   So--advice for beginners--start out with a
hard heart and determination to cull carefully and manage flock size
wisely--and be prepared to build an addition to the barn in a couple years.
By the way--I have some nice spring lambs with great wool/unique
markings/great horns/cute personalities for sale--I can't afford the
addition to the barn.
Melody at CritterLand
 Redmond OR