[Jacob-list] recipe

gordon johnston gordon at westergladstone.fsnet.co.uk
Thu May 2 11:29:26 EDT 2002

Reading the Jacob list is always rather fraught, as many messages come with an awful lot of free rubbish. Today digest no 535 came before 534 which lead to a bit of head scratching til the second one arrived.
Given the political situation in Jerusalem just now I find it hard to believe anyone would be in a situation to be thinking of importing sheep. Also, the religious connotations of Jacob sheep (in that setting) make me doubtful. Is this chap trying to stir something up, or is he just naive?  Having recently heard from a friend that the pair of young Lavender Muscovy ducks she bought from me had almost immediately been taken by a fox, I would not be happy sending sheep into a war zone, no matter how good the proffered price - how long would they last?   Maybe you have a small town somewhere in the US called Jerusalem, and this chap is from there ????   We have not heard of similar enquiries here in Britain.

Last week we sent a dowager (aka 'old bag') to the abattoir - she was 8 years old and had not been bred for two years since she partially prolapsed at that time. It has taken us those two years to bring ourselves to send her off (Mona was one of our first three Jacobs).  We had her turned into mince - which I believe you call ground meat - and I thought you might like my recipe for Monaburgers  :

    8lbs minced (ground) raw mutton
    1lb minced or finely chopped onion
    4-5 slices wholemeal bread, crumbed
    cajun seasoning to taste
    freshly ground mixed peppercorns
    herbes de Provence (thyme, rosemary, basil, marjoram,
            oregano and tarragon)
    4 small eggs, beaten

I put the meat through the mincer twice, the second time with the onions, then mix everything thoroughly together. The amount of herb mix added depends on individual preference, but for us it is herbes de Provence that really give the flavour to our lamb and mutton dishes, so be generous!  I shape each burger using a plain biscuit (cookie) cutter (pack a large spoonful of the mixture inside it), then freeze them individually. This recipe gave 40 burgers, two of which make an ample portion, even though they shrink alot in cooking.
We were amazed that the meat was not at all tough, and it has a richer flavour than young lamb.  The rest of our old ladies had better keep on their toes......
Juliet