[Jacob-list] Lamb fleece types

Debbie Bennett dbennet954 at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 15 10:23:37 EST 2002

I have one mother line that produces lambs with the type of fleeces
you're describing. As adults there is more of a crimp pattern to their
fleeces than most Jacobs have. The fleece is still open with little
grease, grows longer than most (6 to 6 1/2 inches). I had the oldest dam
in that line micron tested. At 6 years of age, she had an average fiber
diameter of 33.2 microns with a standard deviation of 5.3 microns. All
this means is that her fiber is slightly coarser than the majority of my
ewes. The difference between the black and white fibers is negligent.
Even though her fiber is coarser, it is still within the accepted range.
None of this tells you anything about handle - her fleece feels very
soft. Color - hasn't faded much, has crisp lines between the black and
white. Spins like a dream - I always keep her fleece for myself.
She's also an excellent mother, etc,. I will have two of her offspring
for sale later this year - a yearling ewe and this year's lilac ram lamb.
Debbie Bennett
  Feral Fibre
Oakland, Oregon