[Jacob-list] scrapie program--start dates

Kathryn Shirley humbug7 at worldnet.att.net
Tue Mar 12 19:22:19 EST 2002

Actually, you are not responsible for keeping track of the animal once it leaves your
farm.  You are responsible for listing where it went (slaughter, sales, direct sale to
a person).  You are expected to keep a record of the individual people you sell to
(name, address, phone).  Once the animal is in someone else's hands, they are
responsible for keeping a record of what they do with it.

You are certified scrapie free (in the voluntary program) if for five years you have
not had scrapie traced back to you.  Your start date is determined first by the date
you actually joined the program.  If you purchase ewes that are not from scrapie free
flocks, or whose start date is after yours then your date will change.  It will change
to either the date of ownership (date it lands on your property) or the date of the
scrapie start point for the flock you got the animal from--whichever is the earlier
date.

Rams will not affect the start date of your flock.  You can purchase 100 rams a year
and not  change the start date.

Kate Shirley
Humbug Farm