[Jacob-list] Scrapie Monitoring - UK

MarmontJacobs at aol.com MarmontJacobs at aol.com
Tue Mar 12 16:27:50 EST 2002

Hi all,
       I would be interested to hear how scrapie is/will be monitored in the
US. In the UK, we are headed from zero to straight down the genotyping route.
Currently voluntary, albeit with a three year tie in, blood testing of rams
and ram lambs and tagging by rumen bolus (or ewes as well if you can't come
up with 40 boys to test!) is followed by notification of their genotypes (not
always accurate by all accounts). You then have 7 days to have rams with the
most supposedly susceptible genotypes destroyed or neutered, with further
genotypes headed the same way in a few years.
    Although I have expressed an interest - purely to get the info, I am
dragging my feet on this one. Firstly, they are continuing the research -
does this mean they are unsure that this genotyping is the whole story?
Secondly, some rare breeds have none of the most supposedly resistant
genotypes - when will DEFRA decide what happens to those? Third, I don't like
the tie in clause - after FMD I just don't trust the system...
    Trisha M-S
    Norfolk, England