[Jacob-list] Back to the primitives...

J Thomas shepherdofspots at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 12 13:45:29 EST 2002

I wonder if this is a primitive behavior? I've noticed
one of mine is more deerlike in her appearance. Sheds
her belly wool and isn't quite as "trusting" as the
others. She will let me scratch her occasionally, but
not without lack of wariness.

Anyway, she "places" her twin rams under a tree or on
the edge of the pasture and then goes to get her hay
from trough.  If any disruption comes to pasture, loud
noise, etc. she's off like a rocket right to her
lambs.

Anyone else observe this?

We're done with lambing for this year. 5 rams, 3 ewes.
They are all doing splendidly. It's such fun to see
their personalities emerging!

I've also observed "sleeping in family groups" that I
believe was mentioned some time ago.

Joy

=====
Joy Thomas, Son-Rise Farm