[Jacob-list] scrapie program

J Thomas shepherdofspots at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 11 14:23:00 EST 2002

My understanding is that the voluntary program (of
which I am a part) was in place before the mandatory
program.  After I meet the requirements for the
specific number of years (I think it's 5), my farm
will be designated scrapie free. The Vet came out in
January (my one year anniversary) and inspected my
animals, tags, records, etc.

I'm glad I joined the voluntary program when I did. If
I'm careful about the stock I purchase to add to my
flock my timeline won't change and my farm will be
scrapie free in a few more years.

Joy

--- Robin Lynde <rlynde at onramp113.org> wrote:
> I'm curious as to what everyone has decided about
> the federal scrapie
> programs. There is one program that is mandatory (ID
> tag program) and one
> that is voluntary (scrapie certification). To be
> certified "scrapie free"
> could have benefit if your potential buyers also had
> scrapie free flocks and
> wouldn't buy from any other. On the other hand, if
> all the other Jacob
> breeders are not "certified scrapie free" but only
> on the voluntary program,
> that  would limit where you could purchase new
> breeding stock without
> regressing  in the certification timeline.
> Robin Lynde
> Meridian Road Studio & Jacob Sheep
> Vacaville, CA

=====