[Jacob-list] Interesting lamb

Paul and Kate Survis kbarrett at oregontrail.net
Sat Mar 9 20:09:52 EST 2002

Interesting lambWell no little lamb is ugly, but this one is very different.  I too have been enjoying the race of 17 that the lambs set up around sunset...I don't know who starts it, but it only ends when everyone is exhausted. How do they know which direction they will go, or when to start? The other night my son came in from feeding jumping and twisting in the air.  "I'm a lamb!" he exclaimed!! He is 14 and seldom loses his cool demeanor, which made this all the more delightful.  These babies bring such an appreciation for life into all who see them.
I have my new Jacob sheep sign hanging on the lambing pen fence, and it still stops cars everyday.  I know it is really the lambs, but the sign has satisfied these onlookers with what these actually are. Thanks for putting such a great sign together.
I have a question for the list.  This year I seem to have two blue eyed jacob lambs in my group.  I thought it was just a baby thing, but they are still blue.  How can this happen?  I have used the same ram for 3 years, and never had this combination produce blue eyes before.  Neither parent is blue eyed, I guess this doesn't follow the same rules as blue eyes in humans.  Can anyone explain this phenomenon? Thanks.
Kate Barrett
Ruby Peak Jacobs