[Jacob-list] clean (or not-so-clean) fleece

dave & katrina oberlef at desupernet.net
Mon Mar 4 11:38:50 EST 2002

A question for all you listers who work with fleece.  How clean is clean fleece?  How can we keep it cleaner?  I liked the fleece we got off this year's shearing and am starting to experiment with using it, but am frustrated a bit by the VM in it, especially around the neck. Do most of you end up throwing those sections out or sending them to be commercially processed?  Finally have most of the burrs out of the fields so that is not as big of problem (whew), but these tiny pieces of alfafa and hay are driving me nuts.  I do remember someone warning about throwing in alfafa when the sheep are around...thought that was good advice although I don't always bide by it.  Maybe I have to watch that more.

Also, when washing fleece in the washer, do you add conditioner to the final rinse?  I have been told both to add and not to add conditioner (use vinegar instead).  Hope this is an ok topic for a jacob-list, especially since it is so quiet. Thanks for your thoughts.
Katrina Lefever, Chicory Lane
http://wwwfac.wmdc.edu/HTMLpages/Graduate/TI/pages/lefever/chicory.htm