[Jacob-list] lamb halters

Mary Spahr spahrfarm at dragonbbs.com
Wed Jun 12 16:22:55 EDT 2002

Does anyone know where to get halters that fit a 4-6 month old Jacob lamb?  I do not like the rope halters that tighten up around the face and rub when the lamb moves.  I have seen alpaca halters advertised, also in baby alpaca sizes.  I wonder if these would fit?  Maybe there are baby lamb halters out there somewhere.  Any help would be appreciated.
Two of our Jacob lambs are going to the fair to make up a class of 5 Jacobs - a first for our county.  We would like to have them halter broken, which seems like a difficult task so far.  They still do not like to be handled, but will eat grass from our hand.  They are on a 20 percent lamb pellet plus hay.  We are eagerly awaiting some good alfalfa hay if it would ever stop raining long enough so it could be baled.
Does anyone have tips on how to groom Jacobs for showing?  This is only a 4-H show and we are not going to change our breeding program according to anything the judge may say.  I hope it serves to be educational to the public and plan to display our aluminum JSBA Jacob sheep sign on the pens.
Mary Spahr