[Jacob-list] Jacob Show

Mary Spahr spahrfarm at dragonbbs.com
Wed Jul 31 16:51:28 EDT 2002

We just got back from our fair where our son Eric showed his Jacob ram lamb and ewe lamb this morning.  There were one yearling ram, one yearling ewe, 2 ram lambs, and 2 ewe lambs.
We decided to give ours a bath last week which made the white areas really pretty.  We used hair conditioning shampoo and before the show we oiled the horns.  There were comments of how pretty they were and people seemed interested in their history.  We had our aluminum sign over the pen which told a bit about their background.  The first day of the fair our State Senator, Michael Dewine, stopped by the pen with his family for a look at the sheep.  Several ladies expressed interest in learning to spin.
Since Eric has always shown hogs and chickens, we were new at how things were done with the sheep.  I was disappointed that the judge was not informed beforehand that there was to be a Jacob class.  He had never seen a Jacob before and was at a loss as to how to judge them.  Had I known this, I would have supplied him with a breed standard.  If others take their Jacobs to a fair, I would advise giving the judge a copy of the standards prior to the show.
If anyone is interested in a halter-broken Feb. ewe and ram lamb, let me know.  I hate to put them back with the rest of the flock to get 'picked on.'  They like to get brushed, especially the ram (Rambo), who wiggles his tail in delight.  They were shown with a halter and lead.  They are both 2-horned and well-marked - priced at $150 ea.
Mary Spahr