4H and horns & feeding Re: [Jacob-list] feeding

J Thomas shepherdofspots at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 10 10:21:13 EDT 2002

Hi all - my Jacobs get sheep feed that contains oats,
kelp, alfalfa, corn. It's special mixed at the feed
store. I buy it through Kate (who lives about an hour
south of me). We also feed hay to supplement our very
dry pastures. I feed the feed year round, but adjust
the amount. At times, they just get enough to come up
and have a mouthful. This is the time I check them for
injuries, scratch their chins, etc.

re: 4H and horns. Our 4H clubs have decided that
parents need to make the final decision regarding
which animal to show. Of course, judges at shows have
the right to remove ANY animal from the ring that is
considered a danger to 4Her or others. This has worked
very well and allows the kids to show Jacobs, Angora
goats, etc. that traditionally have horns. This
decision was reached because they realized that any
animal can act up in a different show situation.

Joy

=====
Joy Thomas, Shepherd
Son-Rise Farm, Creedmoor NC
Home of The Fleece Flock
Jacob, Shetland & Border Leicester Sheep
Website:   www.shepherdofspots.com
E-Mail:    joy at shepherdofspots.com