[Jacob-list] feeding

honeybucket at attbi.com honeybucket at attbi.com
Wed Jul 10 01:18:22 EDT 2002

I am interested in continuing the exchange on feeding of
Jacobs.  We have tried grass hay, then orchard grass
last year,in additon to eating grass year round,
primarily to cut down on the amount of garbage in the
fleeces.  Since dirty fleeces seems to be more related
to individual sheep rather than feed, we are considering
alfalfa pellets and another type of sheep pellet, along
with some grass hay.  What are the blocks you are all
talking about?  Although they sound risky...I am looking
for healthy food, not something that will make my sheep
sick.  We have access to small alfalfa pellets (not the
bigger blocks that might cause choking), but they would
be too rick to be the main food besides grass (gets
marginal in the winter--too many sheep for our fields).
Can anyone direct me to a source that talks about a good
balanced diet for jacobs?
And Joan, I hope the WA 4-H folks make a sensible
decision regarding horns--I would like to see Jacobs
included in their options!
Patty Berke
PS  I don't have any trouble with the odd additions to
the words in these emails