[Jacob-list] Seeking medical advice

stonecroft235 at juno.com stonecroft235 at juno.com
Mon Jan 28 21:43:58 EST 2002

Question for the list:  I have an older ewe, Anna,  with quite a bit of
white on her face.  (Anna was a former cover girl on the JSC
newsletter!!)  She will occasionally have a little drainage from the
little glands that are located near the  inner part of the eye on the
nasal bridge (is it a gland?) and the drainage is obvious due to her
white color.    Today I noticed that there is much more drainage than
usual - caught her and discovered that she appears to have an infection
on both sides - the eyeball itself is not involved and is perfectly
normal.  Both areas appeared to be reddened, puffy and actually even
tunneled toward the inside of the nose, with pus inside and a definite
foul odor - I used Q-tips saturated in hydrogen peroxide to clean it out
thoroughly, carefully covered her eyes and sprayed Blue Kote on the areas
- and gave her an injection of Liquamycin - and put her in quarantine.
My questions are:  what is going on here?  What is it called?  Is she
more susceptible due to older age and pregnancy?  How should I treat it?
Does this indicate any  vitamin/mineral deficiencies?  She is not due to
lamb for another 6-7 wks.   Anything else that would help would be most
appreciated......I really appreciate having the option of benefiting from
the experience of all of you!!!

By the way,  Anna is my feistiest sheep, just a bear to work with -- and
is she ever ticked off about my efforts to heal her - she was literally
swearing the whole time!!!  (Now there's a question - why is that the
most ornery animals are usually the ones requiring attention???!!!)

Thanks!
Sue Martin
Stonecroft
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!