[Jacob-list] Shearing Stand

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Mon Jan 28 12:26:33 EST 2002

Fred Horak here.  We also use the Slydell stand with the 'short neck' head
rest. I use the Sue Martin Method ..  down the back, then the crutch (toss
it) then the sides.  I am (or was) six-six or six-seven, weak back, and over
the speed limit in years.  The satnd is the only way I can do our flock ...
about 80.  It takes about 30-45 minutes per sheep using a Laser trimmer, 13
tooth comb and AAA cutter.  If you have concernes about "nicking" you can use
a 20 tooth goat comb.  I do them all.

We CDT boostered the pregnant ewes (40 ?), then will shear as many as
possible before birthing dates (for us it starts Feb 24 ? if 148 dyas works).
 The open ewes (we kept about 20 open) and the rams don't get a CDT booster
until shearing.  A sheared sheep is 'boostered', has feet trimmed and wormed;
looked over etc.

Shearing pregnant ewes prior to lambing is a plus ... at a minimum, crutch.
Seeing the rear end muscles 'collapsing' and the vulva saves quite a bit of
guessing.  Lambs find the teat easier, etc. etc.  The rams get sheared,
trimmed and boostered last and at the rate I do them .. may not get sheared
until April  ... May.

Fred