[Jacob-list] shearing on a stanchion

Melody critterland at bendcable.com
Sun Jan 27 21:52:36 EST 2002

Today, while my Jacobs looked on in wonder, I sheared two Pygora goats on a
milking stand, using my sewing shears (guess I need a new pair of sewing
shears now!).  When I got tired of bending, I sat on my milking stool--which
happens to be an upturned 5-gal bucket--just the right height for comfort.
It worked quite well, and I enjoyed the time and contact with the goats.  I
would almost be tempted to try to shear the sheep that way also, if they
were a little tamer, I had a little more time, and I didn't think it would
take an act of congress to get them up on the stand!!   But since it took
almost 45 min for each little goat, and they cooperated very nicely, I can
imagine how long it would take to shear 11 Jacobs.
Melody at CritterLand
Redmond OR