[Jacob-list] Stanchion

Linda wolfpen at rabun.net
Sun Jan 27 19:26:12 EST 2002

On Sun, 27 Jan 2002 15:26:43 -0800 (PST), J Thomas wrote:
>I bought a shearing stand from Sydell's last year at
>the MD festival. They have them in their on-line
>catalog. For Jacobs (and Shetlands) get the shorter
>headrest.
>
>I also use this for trimming hoofs.
>
>It's not hard to shear. I did it last year with (yes
>you may laugh) fiskars dressmaker shears. I bought a
>hand shear and was too timid to use it. Maybe this
>year. Sheep are great -- there's so much to learn!

When I first got sheep, I read a wonderful article in an old Threads magazine.  A
woman named Ursula Schramm (sp?) told about how she tied her sheep with a collar and
then sheared with dressmaker's shears.  When her back bothered her, she sat on a
five gallon bucket so she didn't have to bend over.
Well, I tried it and I found that it worked well for my flock.
I injured my right hand awhile back and I find regular hand shears and electric
shears to be too hard on my hand.
I can shear a sheep with Fiskars in about 15 to 20 minutes - no second cuts and as
Susan mentioned, I skirt while shearing.  During that time, the sheep and I discuss
politics, gossip about the other sheep, and I hand feed the ewes.  Not all of my
sheep are easy to catch, but they will all stand tied for foot trimming, worming,
etc.  But, I only shear about 20 a year.
If I could get a good shearer to come early in the year, I would rather do that as I
ain't getting any younger!  But it hard to do in this area.  The Australians don't
get here until mid-May.  That's a little late for our humid climate.

Linda

Visit our Jacob flock at:
http://www.PatchworkFibers.com
Registered Jacob Sheep