[Jacob-list] sheep and chickens

Linda wolfpen at rabun.net
Sun Jan 27 19:30:30 EST 2002

On Sun, 27 Jan 2002 09:14:21 -0500, dave & katrina wrote:
>Hi listers-
>Thought I would share a story with  you...  I was outside this
>morning feeding/checking on an older ewe who had  left the flock
>with sunken sides and while I stood watching her, I noticed  all the
>funny sheep shaped 'shadows' where the flock had laid on the
>pasture grass.  The frost had collected on their backs, leaving a
>little  frost-free patch whenever they got up in the morning.  It
>was easy to  see how many had chosen to sleep outside last night.
>
>On the way back to the house, I  noticed another of these frost-free
>shadows on the lawn just before you get to  the long walkway leading
>up to the house.  It was about 50 ft from the  chicken house. About
>the size of a small dog or large cat, with a long  fluffy tail
>shadow out the back.  I looked at it for a long time not  realizing
>what I was seeing until finally I looked at that long tail shadow
>again and made the connection.  Could it be that our slinking red
>fox had  laid there most of the night hoping to see a stray chicken
>which never made it  back to the coop!  (our dog patrols closer to
>the house) A few chickens  that have decided to spend the night in
>the barn (mostly teenager roosters) have  become meals for this fox,
>since I have seen feathers scattered in the barn once  in a
>while...the most recent was a few days ago.
>Speaking of chickens...don't chickens and  sheep have a funny
>relationship?  Our sheep come running over when we feed  the
>chickens (scattering grain) but soon forget to try to steal grain as
>the  chickens run under and around them.  Must tickle their bellies
>because the  sheep start looking mesmerized and soon their legs give
>way and they collapse  right in the middle of the scratch grains
>with chickens continuing to run all  around them looking very
>frustrated.  Cracks me up.
>Katrina
>Chicory Lane Farm
>http://wwwfac.wmdc.edu/HTMLpages/Graduate/TI/pages/lefever/chicory.ht

A few weeks ago, I looked out to see a ewe lamb with something black curled up next
to her belly.  My first thought was - a lamb!  My second thought was - oh no, as
lambs are not due for two more months and this lamb appeared to be solid black.
Then the "lamb" stood up and turned out to a hen.  She had spent the night sleeping
next to the ewe's belly.

Linda
Visit our Jacob flock at:
http://www.PatchworkFibers.com