[Jacob-list] Syrian / Jacobs

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Thu Jan 10 13:57:43 EST 2002

NLGrose at Yadtel.net writes:

<< What I am very interested in is several references that I have heard to
the "Syrian Jacobs", whose wool was apparently used for undergarments. The
origins of these guys seems to be rather complex. Does anyone out there have
any information on this?

 Neal Grose
 N.C. >>

My understanding of the term "Syrian Jacobs" is from A.R. Werner's "Origin of
Piebald or Jacob Sheep" wherein various names are ascribed to "piebald,
polycerates".  These have had names such as Syrian, Persian .... and the more
common "Spanish sheep with four horns", Zulu, etc. depending on what the
holder thought was the country of origin or known to be crossed with sheep
from those countries.

There is a picture from 1913(?) of three piebald four horned rams at
Charlecote Park at Startford on Avon labeled: (1) "Spanish sheep", (2) "Lady
Leicester Warren 'Persian'", (3) "Bred from 'Syrian'". These country
references are apparently to the source flocks of these three rams:
Charlecote, Tabley Hall which refered to them as Persian and Ingleborough
that referred to them as Syrian.  They each look like a Jacob ...  same
sheep, many names.

There is apparently a reference to Syrian sheep from the early 1900s
describing a flock of piebald polycerates "from Syria" which was shortly
threafter corrected to explain these sheep came from George Maude's place ...
who also traded sheep with Earl Fitzwilliam ... who was the first to leave a
written record of "Jacobs" in his wool clip record of 1845.

These are the only two references I am aware of ... that might seem to be
"Syrian Jacobs" ... as opposed to "Syrian" sheep.

References to undergarments are "unmentionable".

Fred Horak