[Jacob-list] Fleece

Jim Spahr spahrfarm at dragonbbs.com
Wed Jan 9 11:13:33 EST 2002

In answer to Sue's questions - Yarn from our down-type Jacob fleeces still has lots of loft and elasticity, although I tend to spin a more worsted yarn to accomodate my knitting machine.  It makes wonderful ribbing and is comfortable to wear next to the skin.  I have been keeping warm this winter wearing my Jacob socks and scarves.  I do not think it is possible to wear out a pair of well-made Jacob socks.  Mine have not shrunk or felted.  I always wet my yarn with hot water and let the skein dry before knitting with it.  I handwash the socks with conditioning shampoo and lay flat to dry.
We should not confuse the term "down-type" fleeces with "downy" fleeces.  Downy means soft and down-type fleeces refer to breeds such as the Dorset and Cheviot that were originally bred in the down regions in Britain.  I am sure that Trish and Juliet can fill us in as to the origins of the various breeds - hill breeds, down breeds, etc.  I do not know that down-type fleeces are more/less desirable than crimpy fleeces.  Down-type fleeces can be as soft as crimpy fleeces.  They seem to be a very versatile fiber, suitable to make just about anything you can dream up.  I would be glad to mail a small sample to anyone who sends a self-addressed stamped envelope.  I also like Jacob fleeces that have a little crimp, and am not advocating one over the other.  However, we need to keep in mind the original character of the Jacob fleece and not stray to the extremes of crimpiness.
Concerning open fleeces, in our Ohio climate, we have not had problems with cotting and most of the time we do not shear until June.  I would like to shear earlier, but must wait until all the crops are planted first.  It is always a 2-day production here to shear, but by then the sheep have shed all their belly wool and what is left comes off very easily.

                                                           Mary Spahr