[Jacob-list] primitive characteristics

gordon johnston gordon at westergladstone.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Jan 7 17:51:03 EST 2002

I've taken over the keyboard again from Gordon. I do like the idea of pooling our ideas on which characteristics in our sheep we classify as 'primitive', and which are just 'sheepish'. I'm happy to haul out the digicam and show what we have, but I agree with Katrina that behaviour may be a better clue. I had not thought of standing up on the back feet as primitive, but now I come to think of it, the only time any of my neighbour's Texels are voluntarily on fewer than 4 feet is at tupping time!  All our breeds do this trick (it's how our Jacob tup accidentally cracked my skull - this sounds wrong, I know!). The 'happy 4legged lamb hop', which I think is called 'pronking' (but it's not in the dictionary), is one of the greats. To me though the difference between 'commercial' sheep and primitives is epitomised by the inquisitive but warily alert approach of the primitives to something new. As far as I know it is one characteristic which has definitely not been bred out of the Great Brit Jacob - if it was that would certainly be a sad day!
It is difficult to compare Jacobs with other primitive sheep here, because all others are members of the Northern Short-tailed group, whereas Jacobs are from different roots. I am not familiar with US breeds but would love to know more.

So how's this for a start to a list of primitive characteristics, to be amended, added to, criticised, ridiculed or approved as appropriate?---:
Acrobatics - pronking, standing on two legs, leaping fences, shearers heads, etc,
Diet - prefer to eat shrubs, coarse grass, mixed herbs, but find continuous lush pasture unnecessary and fattening. Ditto concentrates.
Condition - carry little external fat reserves on the back, but tend to store it internally when overfed.
Intelligence - alert, aware of surroundings, investigative, learn quickly.
Individuality - tendency not to flock, split into family groups, full of 'character'.
Prolificacy - singles or twins, triplets rare.
Mothering - assisted lambing rare, quick bonding, can count to two.
Lamb survival - lambs are up quickly, feed early, have a thick, weatherproof coat (Shetlands don't - they are rather like naked molerats at birth, but they do survive!)
Hardiness - fleece protects well against the elements, sheds water, plenty of lanolin, animals seek out shelter from the elements, but avoid snowdrifts.
Horns - hmm, I don't know about this one.
Fleece - tendency to double coats, manes, self-shedding wool ie can be rooed (Hebs do not have this), cammo colours.
Self defence - prepared to defend their lambs and their family groups against threat.
Territoriality - in tups especially, and not prepared to accept another tup near 'his' ewes. Family groups set up their own territories (this is only for extensively grazed flocks)

Can't think of any more. How do the Jacobs score?
Juliet.