[Jacob-list] Primitive or not?

Edd Bissell bissell at usit.net
Sun Jan 6 08:58:55 EST 2002

>I would also be interested to know how we are supposed *not* to select
>amongst domestic animals when we artificially keep them in paddocks having
>artificially chosen them in the first place to our own criteria rather than
>letting them choose each other. In the wild this *does* usually mean that the
>largest and fittest wins through as sire, and that sheep (and presumably
>other beasts) will much more readily accept mating from a ram that looks like
>their mother (left to their own devices in a mixed flock ewes looking like
>mum are usually tupped first).
>Trisha M-S
>
>================

I have be fortunate enough to travel thru Scotland and see their
magnificent Jacobs - but when put side by side with mine you literally
would not think them the same breed except for the black/white coloration
and the horns - and most of the Scottish Jacobs are two horned.  I think
when we put aesthetics foremost in out thinking we loose most of the old
survival primitive traits because they do not go well in the show rings or
produce dollars in the back pockets.  BIGGER IS BETTER is now the all
American way of life as it appears to be in the British Isles also. I have
no problem with improvement but also leave room for the people with leave
well enough along thought lines also.  Thankfully the people who started
the Jacob breed standards had this in mind - have no idea of how the
movers/shakers are leaning now-----but I personally quit registering years
before I sold my last Jacobs.

I think the newer people on the list need to read the Evangalista post - I
think that Linda or ME or someone has it on their Web-Page and also be
aware that there is a old Video that someone could lend them that sort of
give them an idea of what Jacbos looked like 20 or so years ago, what some
of the flocks that had be here for many generations before Jacobs because
mainstream,  and will also afford them Ingrid Painters views on the
differences between Improved and Primitive.  And I personally still like
that term - PRIMITIVE - it seems as if several on this list found disfavor
with the term and tried their best to come up with other descriptive
wording but somehow they just never did catch on!!!!

Also for you newcomers - there are still lots of breeders out there that
have had the breed for 20 years or more - find them, feel out their views,
ask questions, look at old photos, find some of the older flocks that still
have the non-improved flocks, - and remember the over night wonders  [those
that have now been in Jacobs for 3 years, have bought E generation,
registered ewes from at least 3 different breeders and a Ram that is dual
registered]  are not where you go to get your information. Seek out those
that have made every mistake you can make and done so several
times!!!  That is where your wealth of information lies.

Edd Bissell
New Market, Tn.
www.eddbissell.com