[Jacob-list] Primitive or not?

MarmontJacobs at aol.com MarmontJacobs at aol.com
Sun Jan 6 07:41:33 EST 2002

1820 hrs/Saturday 5 January 2002

Dear Mr. Johnston,

Thanks for this letter.  Your statement "...the moment you produce a
breed standard you artificially limit the gene pool." struck me with a
measure of impact, for such an insightful statement  of truth is usually
not met with full understanding.  For several years I have tried to make
clear that breed standards based upon human aesthetic values do exactly
what you have stated, they limit the gene pool.  As a result there are
many breeds of sheep, dogs or goats which are plagued with a narrowing
genetic diversity to the point where genetic problems are increasing.  I
have been interested in this for several years and have published a
series of  papers through which I hope to arouse interest among those in
responsible positions.  If you like reprints of these papers I would be
glad to snail-mail you copies if you would send me your postal address.

David Richard Lincicome, Ph.D.,PAS, DACAP
Guest Scientist, U. S. Department of Agriculture
Past President and a Founder of the Jacob Sheep Conservancy

>>>I would be very interested to hear Dr Lincicome's viewpoints on DEFRA's
latest great idea, to kill off (permanently) large chunks of the gene pool
through the National Scrapie Plan which, although voluntary for now, won't
stay that way for long. What is the US situation on this front?
I would also be interested to know how we are supposed *not* to select
amongst domestic animals when we artificially keep them in paddocks having
artificially chosen them in the first place to our own criteria rather than
letting them choose each other. In the wild this *does* usually mean that the
largest and fittest wins through as sire, and that sheep (and presumably
other beasts) will much more readily accept mating from a ram that looks like
their mother (left to their own devices in a mixed flock ewes looking like
mum are usually tupped first).
I do not see how Dr Lincicome can compare the awful artificial inbreeding
which has occurred with some types of dogs, with sheep and goats - for a
start farmers could not afford the sometimes vast vets' bills that go hand in
hand with these things, although there are instances as with some cattle
where Caesarian has become the norm where I agree things have gone too far.
Also, as size, strength, and looks are, dare I say, the usual criteria for
*natural* selection amongst animals, *and* in the UK we are blessed with a
good size gene pool for Jacob Sheep, the breed seems to be in excellent shape
for the 21st Century.
Gordon has not, to my knowledge, debated this topic amongst the JSS -
probably as many would be horrified at the thought of undoing 30 years hard
work resulting in a visually stunning and robust animal often with wonderful
wool and excellent (reputedly) low cholesterol meat, with easy prolific
lambings and super mothering capabilities. His only argument seems to be one
word "size" - as I have said before there are many inexpensive ways of making
handling easier on the back or whatever from head holders, stands and sheep
sofas, to more exotic and expensive turnover crates. Smallholders are often
very gifted in the gadget-making department!
As obviously any progeny of AI would be unregisterable in the UK, the JSS
need have no involvement in his ideas, but as there is a huge depth of
knowledge and interest in the Society, I challenge Gordon Johnston to submit
his argued viewpoint for inclusion in the next Journal - copy date fairly
soon I should think...!!
This is the first day in over a week we haven't had to chip ice rinks of the
water troughs - hurray!

Trisha M-S

Happy New Year to Jacob Breeders everywhere!