[Jacob-list] horns

Linda wolfpen at rabun.net
Tue Feb 26 07:49:32 EST 2002

On Mon, 25 Feb 2002 22:56:32 -0500, swalla2 at juno.com wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>
>Last year is the first year that we bought a ram - usually we rent
>one, but  last year we couldn't find one to rent because I have
>gotten into Jacobs and  there aren't many Jacob farmers around our
>area.  The ones we did find were  reluctant to part with their ram
>for a couple of months.  We only have  three ewes and it is going to
>be interesting housing a ram for a whole  year.  He is very "pushy."
>Luckily he only has two horns, otherwise I  would be afraid to go in
>the pen with him.
>
>Shari Walla
>Walla's Wooly Buggers Farm
>Washington,  MI

The only time I really got hurt (not seriously, but certainly bruised) was by a two
horned ram.  I was walking across the pasture carrying some hay and he hit me in the
middle of the back.  Many lessons learned that day!
When we bought our first sheep - meat crosses - the breeder told a story about a
Suffolk ram rupturing his owner's spleen when he hit him.
Four horned rams are not necessarily more dangerous than two horned or no horned
rams.
Good luck with lambing!

Linda

Visit our Jacob flock at: