[Jacob-list] horns

Debbie Bennett dbennet954 at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 16 10:08:53 EST 2002

On Friday, February 15, 2002, at 07:30 AM, Grose wrote:

> 10 lb. lambs? Ours run 3 to 8 lbs.
Mine do, too, usually. This year I overfed some of my ewes and pulled a
10 lb ram lamb out of a first time mother. My largest ewe, who usually
twins, gave birth to a ram lamb that weighed in at 11 1/2 lbs! But she
gave birth by herself.
I've only had one ewe who had triplets. The first time, 2 out of 3
survived birth, and then a few hours later, she lost one in the crowd
and it was trampled to death. The second year, it looked like she only
bothered to clean up one of them. She became mutton.
This year, for the first time, I'm feeding a Jacob lamb. An older ewe
who has always singled in the past, had twins and rejected one.

Debbie Bennett
Feral Fibre
Oakland, Oregon