[Jacob-list] Ewe nuts!!

MarmontJacobs at aol.com MarmontJacobs at aol.com
Fri Feb 15 13:41:20 EST 2002

Hi everyone,
            Seems from the six mails so far that I've walked into another
cross-the-pond cultural thing. Good stuff - I enjoy hearing from you!
So...one brand of ewe nuts has wheat middlings, sunflower extract, whole
barley, whole wheat, peas, molasses, ryegrass meal, oat fines, cereal straw,
limestone flour, salt, vits and minerals.....they vary with some including
citrus pulp and other things. I don't use them any more preferring sugar beet
pulp with a dash of coarse goat mix before lambing and going up to 50-50
after. They also have a high protein block, so the less greedy ones don't
miss out. The UK has banned the use of fish meal as a protein source (mad
fish disease??!!) so the blocks now have "Prairie Meal" instead whatever that
is. I'd prefer to use organic blocks, but they're hard to get.
    Let them out of the barn for a few hours in the sun yesterday as the
grass has grown a bit, but back they went last night. It was just like the
first day of the sales - grab, grab, grab, and bleating lambs all over the
place, but they were soon belting up and down quite the thing.
Happy lambing!
    Trisha