[Jacob-list] horns

Betty Berlenbach lambfarm at sover.net
Fri Feb 15 08:20:27 EST 2002

HI, Robin,

Occasionally, I find, if a lamb is overdue, or I've been feeding them too much, and it is a 10 pounder, the horn buds are grown out an inch or half inch, and mama has a hard time (I shudder to think what that'd be like!) Usually, in these cases, the lamb is yellow, from old meconium into birth fluid.  I've never had any problems however, other than mama has a longer labor, and occasionally, I'll massage her cervix or help get horns through at the end, one at a time.  I do see most of the births here, and mostly, it just seems the equivalent to delivering a 10 pound human baby instead of a 6 pound one! A little longer, a little harder, but these tissues were made to stretch, and they do.