[Jacob-list] Inbreeding--linebreeding--whatever you call it

Hobsickle at aol.com Hobsickle at aol.com
Sat Dec 28 11:42:29 EST 2002

Thanks for the details--it sounds like an interesting flock, and perhaps on
that I would like to get individuals from.  Inbreeding does tend to produce
(as I mentioned) individuals which are homozygous (true) for random traits,
and this is most obvious for recessive traits.  This also illustrates two
other genetic principles, i.e., founder's affect and genetic drift.  Starting
with, at best, 3 different sets of genes (1@ from the ewes and ½ @ from the
sire of the rams--assuming that each sibling got a unique ½ from each parent,
which isn't probable) the gene pool was already very small, meaning some
traits probably weren't carried into the flock start with.  Then the
randomness of gene segregation likely removed other genes (this is genetic
drift).  All in all, it doesn't surprise me to hear that traits like 'absence
of ticking' and lilac were prevalent.

It sounds like this pretty close to a situation where a flock could have
adapted genetically to its environment.  (To be clear, inbreeding under
normal circumstances is not going to produce a sheep that is better for the
specific farm.)

Also I need to mention that the Butcher's selection was likely not random.
(I can't easily imagine anyone walking into a flock and grabbing the
attractive animals for slaughter.  I also can't imagine a flock owner not
giving at least general instructions to the butcher.)  So to say that this
flock did better by not selecting "registry traits" is not necessarily
substantiated.  By definition phenotypical traits (though influenced by
environment, etc.) are a result of genotype.  In this case, the effects of
the founder's affect, genetic drift, the butcher, and possibly natural
selection can account for every phenotypic result I've heard about in this
flock.  These circumstance are too unique to allow too many specific
inferences.

-Dan

PS Any lilac ewes available from this flock?