[Jacob-list] Newbie questions/welcome/rite of passage in shepherding

J Thomas shepherdofspots at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 29 22:57:21 EDT 2002

Welcome Kelly & Rich -- no question is too dumb or too
goofy!  I remember when I was preparing to purchase my
first Jacobs (and sheep), I read a book on care. The
book said that sheep needed to be fed before dark or
they would develop digestion problems and not gain the
appropriate nutritive value from their feed. I asked
the shepherd I'd be purchasing the sheep from if
electric lights in my barn would be okay -- since I
take one of my children to dance lessons in the
evening, I'd put the lights on before I went and then
I could feed them in the "light" at the same time each
day.  After she stopped laughing and caught her
breath, she informed me, "Your sheep have NOT read
that book. When you feed them they will eat!!" It's
become kind of a family joke!

Delivered 7 of my sheep today to be taken to livestock
sale tomorrow. <sniff> 4 ram lambs and three cull
ewes. Two of the ewes were "original purchase" sheep.
I feel I made good decisions regarding who to sell and
cull, but it sure is hard.  Of course, when I get the
check from the sale and am able to get some fencing
and perhaps another ewe, I'll feel better <smile>

I've had some rain here in NC, but not nearly enough.
Pasture is a bit green, but we're still in drought
conditions. This has affected sales of all livestock,
not only sheep.

Have a great Labor Day Weekend all -- before we know
it we'll have new lamb messages on the Jacob list.

Joy T.

=====
Joy Thomas, Shepherd & Fiber Artist
Son-Rise Farm, Creedmoor NC
Home of The Fleece Flock
Jacob, Shetland & Border Leicester Sheep
Website:   www.shepherdofspots.com
E-Mail:    joy at shepherdofspots.com