[Jacob-list] Out of season lamb?

Grose NLGrose at Yadtel.net
Mon Aug 12 22:15:00 EDT 2002

The other day, I was passing by the sheep pasture. We had been doing sweet corn and I had dumped several wheel barrow loads of shucks over the fence to the sheep with the loader tractor. [Dad plants enough for the neighbors.] There in the middle of the pile was a Jacob ewe and her lamb. It was another 5 minutes before it occurred to me that it was a ewe and her newborn lamb. It had been a long day.
Checking back, the ewe was a young ewe that I did not have record of lambing this spring. There were several abortions back in Feb. that did not coincide with ill sheep. I suspect that this ewe was one of these. I know of one other time when we had a ewe abort in late winter and breed back for "out of season".

Neal Grose