[Jacob-list] reply on triplets

Grose NLGrose at Yadtel.net
Sat Aug 10 10:19:08 EDT 2002

We have had only 2 sets of triplets in our Jacobs in the last 14 years and hundreds of lambings. While I appreciate the twins that we get, they should leave the litters to the professionals...my FinnsXlongwools.
Single births are a primitive trait. While nature loves prolificy, it hates wasted energy. Among deer, females that have twins are more likely, not only to lose one of the fawns, but to skip fawning the next year because of poor condition during the breeding season.

Neal Grose