[Jacob-list] Triplets and scurrs

Mary Hansson mhansson1 at triad.rr.com
Fri Aug 9 17:19:36 EDT 2002

Hi all,

This has taken quite a bit of diddling to just get it sent.  The mail
system seems to take quite a bit of time to change addresses in it's
system---at least this month!

I am working to get the information into the Jacob Research Project
database.  Currently, there are 164 lambing documentation records in the
system.  There are triplets reported 3 times on those 164 records.  No
records otherwise with more than 2 lambs reported in there.  For the
newcomers, there is a non-profit organization unaffiliated with any
registry or other organization that was put together to objectively look
at what we are all seeing in our barns and fields.  The website is
www.jacobresearchproject.org if you are interested in learning more.

I know of one ewe that has produced a miscarriage of quads--don't know
if all lambs were same size or if there may have been two ovulations
that were fertilized.  To my knowledge, she produced primarily twins the
rest of her life.  I own one daughter who has singled and then twinned
the following two years.  I don't think I have ever heard of another ewe
even conceiving that many in this breed.

I know of one ewe that has tripletted two years running now that came
from a dam and a grand-dam that have never produced more than twins and
produced singles their first times out lambing (this particular ewe is
herself a single).  She raised all 3 the first year and 1 the second
year.

I had another ewe that produced triplets her second year and twins her
third.....hasn't had time to do more than that at the moment.  This ewe
raised 1 her triplet year and 1.5 the second year (weaned one of the two
by 4 weeks of age and I about lost that ram lamb.......)

I cannot see a benefit to triplets personally.  I personally hope I
never see them on my farm.  I cannot imagine it would be healthy for the
dam or the offspring in a less tended setting to be producing much
differently than deer.  I would like to see what the percent of
fertility is on deer for that matter.

As to fertility at my farm.......I was counting on having about half my
flock bred last year........and had one lamb miss----WAY more lambs than
I had planned for.  I had pulled the ram in early November!  Never
before have I seen the lambs all cycle and catch so early on.  I had
lambs from Feb to the first week of April.

Somebody asked about scurs.  I don't know of anybody that is looking at
actual determination of heritability of scurs AND horns on the same
animal.  That is an interesting question, but there aren't that many
people out there that are actually willing to take the time to check and
see if those side horns are indeed solid---and then we get into the
arguments of "at what age".  This year, I had rams with horns AND
scurs------numerous rams show up with this trait, which I have found
quite fascinating.  There always seems to be something new to look at
each year either health-wise or phenotype-wise in my flock.  Trait
showed up in both sires I used and in various ewe lines without common
denominators..........ahhhh.  The joy of Jacobs!

Right now, I am debating about who to put with who......just how many
ewes to give the circumcised ram to, how rams do I want to deal with
mixed up with girls, and where to hang girls from that should NOT meet
up with any rams of any type.  This is the season of "dreaming and
planning".  The time for "anxious anticipation" will be upon us soon
enough once the breeding season is underway :o).

Mary Ellen Hansson

ISeeSpots Farm

Jacob Sheep:  Those horny, fuzzy critters

Shop:  Knitting, crochet, spinning supplies

www.iseespots.com