[Jacob-list] scurs

SharHill at aol.com SharHill at aol.com
Thu Aug 8 12:36:28 EDT 2002

Hi all.

I have a question about scurs.  I have a yearling 4 horn ewe who broke off
all 4 horns  when she was a few months old.  The top 2 grew back nicely and
are quite solidly attached, though a bit funny looking with the blunt tips.
However, the laterals grew back as little nubs that move around in the skin,
as if they are not really attached to the skull.  Those are scurs, right?
(This is my first experience with this and have never seen them before.)

I was just wondering about the genetics of it.   I will admit right now that
I don't know much about genetics,  so forgive any "dumb" questions or
statements I might make.

The mother is a 2 horned ewe with very nice solid horns.  The father is a 4
horned ram, also with very solid horns.  I assume there is a gene that causes
scurs to appear?  Do both parents have to have it for the scurs to show up in
the offspring?  If they both have the gene, how great is the likelihood that
scurs would show up?  I would be interested to hear how this works.

I was also wondering if anyone keeps track of, or knows how widespread the
defect is in the breed.  Also, do scurs ever occur on 2 horned animals, and
do they ever show up on the top horns of 4 horned sheep?  Do they occur more
frequently in ewes or rams or does anyone even know?

The sire of this scurred ewe also produced several lambs with split eyelids.
Is this in any way connected to the scur issue?

Thanks.  I'll appreciate any answers I can get to satisfy my curiosity about
this.

Sharon Hill