[Jacob-list] Docking tails

gordon johnston gordon at westergladstone.fsnet.co.uk
Sun Apr 28 07:24:44 EDT 2002

When we started with jacobs about 7 years ago everyone docked tails - the breed standard (JSS) even tells you how long to have them.

We docked our first lambs a bit, leaving the tails fairly long, then never docked any more thereafter. We were a bit worried when we first showed undocked sheep but no-one commented, but now lots of people have stopped docking jacobs, here in Scotland. All our other breeds are Northern short-tailed, so they don't get docked anyway.

We have had the occasional fly strike. The tail length seems to make no difference. Shetlands are just as likely to get struck as jacobs. If you get a skittery sheep, sort it quickly and just keep a close eye on the flock. We use Vetrazine and some impressively powerful lemon-smelling organic fly repellant (which unfortunately temporarily stains the wool but is good on heads).

Gordon and Juliet
Wester Gladstone
Scotland