[Jacob-list] Breed Organizations

Grose NLGrose at Yadtel.net
Thu Apr 18 23:02:56 EDT 2002

I agree with Mary Spahr, having an informative discussion on the viewpoints of breed organizations should not be viewed as promotion of a particular association.

There are a number of good reasons to become associated with a breed organization and any number of reasons to thumb our noses at them. Breed Standards are a "best guess" of what constitutes acceptable limits for a set of traits. They are never perfect. Adopting a breed standard inevitably leads to a reduction in diversity. I am sure, however, that trying to run solo in conserving a unique genetic group drastically increases the chances that such a group will be lost all together. We have seen it happen.

Neal Grose