[Jacob-list] experience and wisdom needed

Chovhani melanie.boxall at sympatico.ca
Tue Apr 16 07:44:03 EDT 2002

Hi Virginia. Jacobs vary enormously in how tame they are when you first
aquire them. Some will have been treated as pets and will behave
accordingly. Our first two ewes were 7 months old, and as wild as hell.
They came from a huge flock, in fact we chose them from a barn with at
least 100 ewes in it. We chose them exclusively on horns and markings,
because both of us come from SE England and were used to the huge
commercial flocks there - we never even considered temperament.

Well, those girls were skittish and shy. But when lambing time came they
changed completely, and became very approachable. Over time they are
just semi-tame, they'll never be as easy as the lamb we bottle-raised,
but she is a real nuisance.

We have electric fencing, and they respect it. The only ewe who has ever
been a problem is the bottle-lamb (spoiled) and I've never had cause to
fear any of my sheep.

Melanie