[Jacob-list] Breed Standards: Freckles, mottling

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Mon Apr 15 01:24:31 EDT 2002

> Could a JSC member fill us in as to their standards on freckling?  In JSBA,
> Under Acceptable but Less Desirable Traits, a small amount of freckling in
> white wool is allowed.  Under Unacceptabl/Disqualifying Traits, Excessive
> freckling in the white wool of young animals is considered unregisterable.

The Breed Standard for the Jacob Sheep Conservancy is available at
www.jacobsheepconservancy.org.  It states in brief that mottling and
freckling occur and is acceptable.

The Jacob Sheep Society Breed Standard has been and may still be available at
www.beta.co.uk/corylus/jacsoc and says mottled wool and skin are
undersirable.

> I had also been told that Dr. Philip Sponenberg had made the comment that
> freckling is part of the make-up of Jacob sheep and they are the only breed
> of sheep to carry this trait.  I do not know if this statement is true or
> not true.

Freckling in Jacobs, D. Phillip Sponenberg (1988) : ... "freckling in the
breed is fascinating ... some genetic work suggests this is due to a dominant
gene ... needs to be accepted as an interesting minority variant."

The Jacob-list should not be a forum for "organization" promotion or
comparison but a forum for sharing and learning.  The recent questions of
freckles, ticking, skin mottling are phenotype questions that could lead to
understanding the genotype ... not simply answered by "the breed standard for
X organization says" ...  but by a scientific method.  There are other Jacob
"breed standards" and organizations.   A basic genotype for the Jacob was
given by Roberts (1926) and supported by Alderson (1975), Adalsteinson and
Ryder (1976) ... polycerate, dominant black, recessive piebald ... and so
many Jacob questions relate to those three terms.

I saw a question related to "quilting" (SPOTTING locus again).  From Ryder
and Adalsteinsson(1986): "It is a common observation in black and white
piebald sheep that wool of one colour (usually the black) is longer and
coarser that the other. ...It was suggested that the presence of pigment
encourages the growth of the coarser coat, and that the colour gene will make
the fiber array coarser since it is mainly variations in the primary and less
in the secondary fibres that change the array.  This is pleiotropic ...
affecting color and size of fiber ... longest wool associated with the
thickest skin" ... etc.   Is it dominant or recessive?

Fred Horak ...  Member of JSS, JSC, JSBA