[Jacob-list] NEWBORN LAMBS

Heather Hettick hettick.1 at osu.edu
Thu Apr 4 10:51:29 EST 2002

    Two of my original ewes had more of a crimpy down-like fleece and my
original ram had extremely soft not-so-crimpy wool on his body with really
long hairy britch wool.  Their lambs sometimes had the tight curly fleece at
birth, but it wasn't usually very soft when they grew up.  I ended up
selling those ewes because as they got older their fleeces were too short,
but I still have a daughter of one who was born with a somewhat hairy fleece
and although she is somewhat coarser than my other Jacobs, her fleece, even
at three years old, is a nice length with some crimp.

    I had twin lilac ewes two years ago, one with tight curls and the other
with some hairiness than sheds out after a couple weeks.  They have similar
textured fleeces now, but one who was hairy has a longer fleece that is
generally nicer to work with.

    I have never had any Jacobs born with all-over wavy fleece or no crimp
at all , but this year I have twin 1/2 Jacob ewe lambs - one with long wavy
fleece and one with the little curls.  Their mother is mostly Tunis and a
little Romney, whose fleece is long and crimpy and coarser than most of my
Jacobs.  These lambs have been spoken for by a nearby neighbor, so I was
hoping to watch their fleece development as they grow, especially the little
wavy fleeced ewe.

    Heather Hettick
    Moonstruck Jacob Sheep
    Creston, OH