[Jacob-list] NEWBORN LAMBS

Debbie Bennett dbennet954 at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 4 09:04:50 EST 2002

I had a set of twin ewes born last year, one with a wavy curl to her
fleece and the other had tight curls with hair. The hair shed out over
the first six months and she now has a beautiful, open fleece with no
defined crimp (the "perfect" Jacob fleece).
The one with the wavy curl at birth has a wavy fleece just like her
mothers'. I micron tested the mother's fleece - at six years old, an
average of 32 microns with a 4.5 deviation. This is a coarser fleece,
but the handle is great (feels softer than some of my finer fleeces) and
is a dream to spin - open, defined crimp; for you spinners, it looks
like a less greasy, more open Romney fleece.
As a spinner, I tend to choose individual fleeces for specific projects
by the characteristics of the fleece. The "mother's" fleece mentioned
above will become a ski sweater for my son. I spun and wove fabric for a
vest by choosing a very fine Jacob wool with no defined crimp. The
character of this wool, allowed me to spin a fine two ply yarn and weave
it to achieve a soft, drapey fabric. I have customers who call and ask
for specific fleeces year after year or who call and ask for certain
characteristics (three lighter fleeces for a spinning/dyeing project, or
2 coarser fleeces for a felting project, etc).
As I skirt my fleeces, I set aside the ones that will be shown at Fairs
and ones I want to work with personally. The "average" fleeces get
sorted by color and I send them out for processing.
I enjoy the diversity of the fleeces as well as personalities within my
flock. I cull lambs with quilted fleeces or freckling (although I sold a
freckled lamb last year to a spinner's flock) or a two year old (baby
fleeces change) with a coarse handle to the fleece.
Debbie Bennett
Feral Fibre
Oakland, Oregon