[Jacob-list] Showing Jacobs

WenlochFrm at aol.com WenlochFrm at aol.com
Thu Sep 27 21:15:28 EDT 2001

First, there is no official policy on fitting Jacobs for the show ring. The
West Coast breeders show their sheep naturally...not to be bathed, carded,
trimmed. Removing tags and vegetable matter, oiling horns, cleaning feet,
ears, faces is acceptable anywhere.

I confess to bathing my Jacobs if they need it. I refuse to take a dirty
animal into the ring. If they need a bath, they get one. However, the wool
needs time to recover as it removes the oil and crimp, so it needs to be done
a minimum of three weeks before showing. Do it even earlier if possible. Use
a mild soap such as Ivory or Dawn. I have had the best results with Orvis
Paste. Then keep the animal in a clean, dry place until show day. If there is
any last minute soiling to be cleaned off, use water only without soap. Have
a blow dryer handy if the show is the same day.

These are all things I learned from commercial breeders showing in the wool
breeds, and you can bet they don't show dirty sheep.

Joan Franklin