[Jacob-list] horney noses

Pbs123 at aol.com Pbs123 at aol.com
Tue Sep 25 09:08:22 EDT 2001

Whenever an area of the integument (skin) is regularly subjected to abrasion
or trauma it undergoes "sclerification"; that is, some of the tissue hardens
in response as a protective measure. Our own skin produces callouses which is
a type of sclerification. Callouses are made of epidermal cells that are
"cornified." The cornification process pushes skin cells outward after
depriving them of cytoplasm and cell nuclei etc.
This is the same process by which horn material is produced, but horn
cornification results in "hard" keratin while our callouses are composed of
"soft" keratin.
The area including the face and forehead in sheep has the ability to produce
horn material when induced to do so. Likewise the area around the antlers or
deer can be experimentally induced to produce additional antler material. The
specialized cells that generate horns and antlers extend beyond the immediate
vicinity of the frontal appendages.

Peter S