[Jacob-list] Re; What is endophyte?

Pbs123 at aol.com Pbs123 at aol.com
Sat Sep 8 08:18:05 EDT 2001

News to me! I've never heard of this. I know that grasses even without these
endophytes, are already resistant to most insects, only grasshoppers can eat
the mature leaves of grass. If you look at the pests that concentrate on
grasses, most eat root material or the new growth at the bottom of the
leaves, or suck juice out of the leaves. This is so because grasses
incorporate silica from the soil into their leaf structure as an
anti-predator measure. Silica is much harder than the chitin in insect jaws
so most cannot eat grass leaves. Unfortunately for your sheep, silica is also
harder the enamel in teeth so grazers slowly wear away tooth material from
eating grasses.
I was reading the other day that the food choices in wild deer populations
(and I guess by inference other ruminants as well) had more to do with taste,
good or bad, than nutrition, so if endophytes make the plants less palatable
it would probably be an effective anti-grazer strategy. Dicot plants often
use this strategy by producing alkaloids that taste bad (or are poisonous) as
a herbivore deterrent.

Peter