[Jacob-list] re-sheeping fund

Betty Berlenbach lambfarm at sover.net
Thu Sep 6 23:45:10 EDT 2001

The Vermont Sheep and Wool FEStival, which is Sept. 29-30, will be featuring a booth with a chinese auction and silent auction to benefit those in Great Britain who have lost their sheep.  It is hoped that this will be an example to other festivals around the country, and spinning groups, and breed associations, and individuals.  Vendors will be asked, should they choose to do so, to donate some item to a daily chinese auction.  Any items valued at more than $50 will likely be silent auctioned.  AMong the suggestions given, were included yarn, fleece, wearables, sheep (or a %age of sales made at the festival, or the price of one lamb sold, etc.) or even a weekend at your farm for two...

The money collected will be forwarded to Linda McCaig at the Rare Breeds Survival Trust, who has agreed to use the money in whatever way seems most appropriate for re-sheeping, for relief for those farmers who didn't have crops to sell, for whatever will help most.  Mostly, the hope is that it can be used for re-sheeping, and that the crisis will end soon, and that process can begin, but we want them to choose how to use the money most effectively, not us.

Anyone on the list or anyone you know can most certainly contribute to the fund, by sending donations of money or fiber related donations or %age of sheep sold, or the price of one lamb sold, or any other creative thing, to Vermont Sheep Breeders Assoc. (checks made out to them, the parent organization, which is non-profit, for tax purposes) and send to me: BEtty Berlenbach, 1961 Plains Rd., Perkinsville, Vt. 05151, and I'll see that the money gets into the fund, and any goodies get into the auction.  (In two weeks, though, so act quick if it's goodies, please!)

Better yet, why not agree to setting up such a thing at your local festival.  If you would like to do that, please do not hesitate to be in touch with me for any help you need. I can put you in touch with Linda, whose email I won't announce here, since I don't have her permission.  Or, if your spinning group or breed association wishes to contribute, or poll its membership for donations, hey, there but for the grace of ...if we can help these shepherds, in the long run, it will only be good for all the world, I think.  We are so blessed by our sheep; please share these blessings with those who've lost theirs.  Thanks for listening.  Betty!