[Jacob-list] Lamb Processing Prices

Kathryn Shirley humbug7 at worldnet.att.net
Sat Oct 27 20:17:15 EDT 2001

My lamb is $2.50 a pound hanging weight (before trimming and cutting up)
for a whole lamb and $3.00 a pound hanging weight (my butcher weighs the
halves)for a half lamb.  This price includes processing costs, cutting,
and vacuum sealing.  I still make a decent profit as the cost to butcher
is not that high. I do ask for the head and hide back (another source of
income).

When selling direct to the ethnic market (which by the way, includes
"middle easterners", Mexican/ South American and Greek Orthodox) I
charge about $50 and all I do is catch the critter and hand it over.
They take care of the rest.  I do ask for the hide and head back.

Since I am a single female who farms by myself, I have had to learn a
few tips for dealing with customers from traditional middle eastern
countries.

Kate Shirley
Humbug Farm

Kate Shirley