[Jacob-list] Gangliodosis/Lysosomal disease

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Thu Oct 25 12:57:05 EDT 2001

Another case of gangliodosis (a lysosomal storage problem) seems to have
appeared in a small flock.  I think I noted this on the jacoblist before and
it has been reported at the various associatiion meetings and in the JSC
Journal (listing of congenital problems, Summer 2001).  With another likely
case reported, I am calling it to your attention again.

This is a genetic spinal cord disease with symptoms including slow/poor
growth, progressive locomotion disorder, prolonged recumbancy, and eventualy,
total recumbancy and death.  The disease symptoms seem to appear as early as
four months and may not appear for about eight months, apparently depending
on the glycogen build up in the vacuoles and the enzyme level imbalance.
This genetic disease, like most problems, is recessive.  The lamb exhibits
the disease from known carriers. Spring 2001 lambs should have or might now
be exhibiting these symptoms.

If you have a lamb exhibiting these symptoms (or exhibited these symptoms and
died) , please contact me (email or 972-727-0900).    The problem is being
studied by Texas A&M and I can provide a contact there.

Fred Horak