Shwomanship & 4H Re: [Jacob-list] Showing Jacobs

J Thomas shepherdofspots at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 2 15:11:50 EDT 2001

This raises some interesting points. My children just
showed a Jacob and a Shetland in 4H showmanship
classes.  Since we raise wool sheep, we prepped them
as such -- clean legs and hoofs, cleaned their ears
and faces, oiled their horns to remove dust and dirt
and removed veggie matter, burrs and combed out matts
from their fleece.  We did not trim their fleece or
"block" them.

Perhaps different areas of the country have different
styles of showmanship? Comments anyone?

We did not compete against the market lambs in the ewe
and breeding ewe classes.

Local Agent said if we can get 6 kids interested, they
will have wool classes -- ewes, breeding ewes, wethers
PLUS showmanship! We're excited.

Have a great day all!
joy

=====