[Jacob-list] Showing Jacobs

Dennis Schultz dschultz at waypt.com
Tue Oct 2 14:02:50 EDT 2001

Hi Joan,

We've seen Jacobs with fleeces trimmed 'smooth'. This hides quilting. The problem is when kids show their animals in 4-H, they are expected to prepare them like other breeds are prepared: blacking, trimming fleeces, etc. This is okay and expected for 'showmanship'. And they are not showing to any breed standard. But, then they show in the 'Open' class and the judges favor them because they look much better than the 'naturally' shown sheep. It really puts the other breeders in a quandry because we want to see the kids showing their sheep. But, we also want to be judged on an equal basis. In some of the shows, this can mean a substantial amount of money in premiums  If we don't set some kind of showing standards, this could start a trend of 'prepping' sheep to show just like other breeds are.

Denny
Dennis and Barbara Schultz
Green Water Farm
Port Townsend, WA