[Jacob-list] Mineral blocks

Kathryn Shirley humbug7 at worldnet.att.net
Sun Nov 25 10:33:31 EST 2001

Tractor Supply has reformulated this block.  They have discontinued the black
tub (old formulation).  They are keenly aware that sheep feed should not have
added copper.  The new tub is blue and has a black and white label pasted on
the side.  This is the proper label for the new blocks.  All of the stores
around here have stocked up on them as they do sell well.

Crystallix is another brand of protein/energy supplement put out by Hubbard
feeds, I think.  My Nutrena dealer can order them.

Blue Seal also sells a molasses based protein/mineral block.

All of the above mentioned blocks are molasses based and have minimal amounts
of salt added.  The protein levels are usually around 16%.  Sheep can be
expected to consume 2 oz to 8 oz a day.

I like them because I can use them to balance out my lower protein
hays--alfalfa is very expensive around here.  This also eliminates daily
feeding (though I do check on them daily).  This allows me to spend my time
weaving, repairing, etc.  It also makes it easier to get someone to watch
them as minimal labor is required.  I have automatic waterers, round hay
bales and protein blocks.  As an added benefit, hay consumption was reduced
by about 20%!  I ended up reducing my total feed bills about 50% by using
free choice blocks and hay/grass.

As an added note, copper in and of itself will not kill sheep.  Excess copper
will.  I could get away with a higher portion of copper in my blocks as I
feed hay that has no uptake of copper.  The block is the only copper source.
I do, however, keep a sharp eye on copper content and generally aim for 10-18
ppm in a block supplement.  Those who feed alfalfa or orchard grass would
need to be especially careful of copper levels.

Kate Shirley
Humbug Farm