[Jacob-list] Fw: Grain'-n-grazin'

Grose NLGrose at Yadtel.net
Wed Nov 21 17:15:44 EST 2001

The energy value of southern grown alfalfa hay is typically 62-65% Total
Digestable Nutrients or about 10-15% less than hay grown in the northern
tier states. Since animals eat to satisfy their energy needs [to the limit
of their stomach capacity] this means that they will need supplemental grain
during lactation for twins or more. Unfortunately, the cost of alfalfa here
in the south is higher than elsewhere in the country, when the value is
less.

One more thing that I should have said: take feed samples or you don't know
what you're doing. Many grazers in this area routinely use hand grass
clippers to take grass samples so that they will know what they should have
done.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Linda" <wolfpen at rabun.net>
To: <fayg at mebtel.net>; "Grose" <NLGrose at Yadtel.net>
Cc: "Jacoblist" <jacob-list at jacobsheep.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2001 3:55 PM
Subject: Re: [Jacob-list] Fw: Grain'-n-grazin'

Neal,

Does the term "energy value" refer to the nutritional value or the economic
value of
the alfalfa?  I have read that southern grown alfalfa has less nutritional
value,
but I read (misread?) your meaning as the cost of alfalfa in the south is
out of
proportion to its feed value.

Linda

>Grose wrote:    ----- Original Message ----- From: Grose
>If top quality alfalfa hay is priced according to soybean meal and>corn,
the cost
is twice its value as a feedstuff. Here in the South,>alfalfa has
significantly less
energy value than it does in the>North.